B.DES INTERIOR DESIGN – OVERVIEW
Bachelor of Design in Interior Design
|| 4 Years
|| 10+2 or Equivalent
B.Des. Interior Design or Bachelor of Design in Interior Design is an undergraduate Fashion and Interior Designing course. Interior Design is the study of the concepts and techniques of organizing, managing, and planning of the interiors of rooms at homes, offices, retail shops, showrooms, hotels, airports, exhibition halls, conference centers, theatres, TV and film studios, and commercial establishments etc. In other words, B.Des. (Interior Design) is the study of creating original designs which involve converting artistic talent and creativity in beautifying the spaces that include choice and decoration of walls, floors, roofs, choice, and placement of furniture and other indoor objects, window treatments and other indoor objects, lighting and control of visual and sound effects, etc. B.Des. (Interior Design) degree course generally covers the study of some of the specialized fields in Interior Design such as business design, institutional design, and landscape designing and residential design. The duration of the course is four years and may be less or more than this as per different institutes.
B.DES. INTERIOR DESIGN – SYLLABUS
Sem. I (Common for all Specializations of B.Des.)
- Fundamentals of Structures I
- Theory of Design
- Freehand Drawing and Geometric Construction
- Material Exposure
- Communication Skills
- Introduction to Computers I
- Fundamentals of Design I
Sem. II (Common for all Specializations of B.Des.)
- Fundamentals of Structures II
- Research Strategies Design Process
- Analytical Drawing
- Basic Photography
- Humanities Art Appreciation and Appraisal
- Introduction to Computers II
- Fundamentals of Design II
- History of Crafts and Interior Design I
- Interior Materials I
- Anthropometry and Ergonomics
- Technical Drawing and Computer Applications
- Interior Construction I
- Interior Design I
- Building Services I
- Interior Materials II
- Elective: Poetry and Literature OR Elective: Journalism
- Advanced Computer Applications
- Interior Construction II
- Interior Design II
- Building Services II
- Interior Materials III
- Elective: Dance and Music OR Elective: Theatre and Film Making
- Materials and Processes I
- Interior Construction III
- Interior Design III
- Building Services III
- Cost Estimation
- Elective: Human Interaction OR Elective: Marketing
- Arts and Crafts
- Interior Construction IV
- Interior Design IV
- Building Services IV
- Professional Practice
- Specifications and Controls
- Product Semantics
- Interior Landscape
- Interior Design V
- Seminar-Thesis Topic
- Dissertation (Case Study) Thesis Topic
- Interior Design-Thesis
- B.Des. (Interior Design) degree holders can work with an Architect on specific projects where Interior Designing is required.
- Also, they can carry on consultancy activities independently with the minimal investment.
- The degree makes one eligible to take up the job of a teacher in institutes that impart training courses in Interior Designing.
- One can eligible and competent enough to open one’s own firm along with a team of other Interior Designers.
- Degree holders are readily accepted as professionals in the Interior Designing firms.
- Interior Design graduates have the options to work from the offices, own homes or on a part-time basis, thus imparting flexibility to this profession.
The basic eligibility criterion for pursuing B.Des. (Interior Design) a degree is qualifying 10+2 or equivalent examination in any stream from a recognized board in India.
- Candidates willing for higher degrees are a good match for it.
- They must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills which are essential for it, as they need to describe their ideas and requirements to clients and other professionals.
- They should be imaginative, creative, self-motivated and good at listening.
- One more thing they should possess is the knowledge of past and present styles of architecture, computer-aided design skills, artworks, building materials and infrastructure, texture and lightings.
- Airport Terminals
- Court Houses
- Architectural Firms
- Corporate Houses
- Jewellery Houses
- Media Houses
- Private Consultancies
- Resort Chains
- Private Residences
- Public Works Departments
- Shopping Malls
- Town Planning Bureaus
- Exhibition Designer
- Independent Interior Designer
- Interior Design Publicist
- Set Designer
- Interior Design Media Specialist
- Technical Designer
- Theatre Designer
- Interior Design Entrepreneur