B.DES. TEXTILE OVERVIEW
Bachelor of Design in Textile Design
|| 4 Years
|| 10+2 or Equivalent
B.Des. Textile Design or Bachelor of Design in Textile Design is an undergraduate Fashion and Interior Designing course. Textile Design covers the study of the concepts and processes of creating designs for knitted, woven or printed fabrics, embroidery designs, print, weave, color detailing, texture, etc. In other words, B.Des. (Textile Design) is the study of textile designing which is an integral part of the fashion industry. The course comprises the study of both surface design and structural design. B.Des. (Textile Design) degree course also covers the study of technical aspects of production and the properties of fibers yarn and dyes. It generally covers the study of some of the specialized fields in Textile Design such as Interiors (home furnishing) and fabrics for garments and accessories. The duration of the course is four years and it opens many opportunities for the applicants after its successful completion.
Syllabus of Textile Design as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges.
- Applied Art on Textiles
- Basics of Computer Science Application
- Colour Mixing
- Communication and Graphic Design
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD) & Weave Design
- Design, Art and Basic Design
- Design Elements and Principles
- Exhibition Design
- Fine Arts-Drawing Sculpture and Painting
- Foundation Program in Design
- Graphics Software and its Usage for Image Creation
- History of Art
- Marketing & Merchandising
- Print Design
- Printing & Finishing
- Principles of Resource Management
- Professional Management
- Properties of Materials
- Quality Analysis & Assurance
- Surface Development Techniques
- Textiles and Clothing
- Textile Design and Applied Arts
- Textile Dyeing and Pattern Making
- B.Des. (Textile Design) degree holders are in great demand among fashion designers, garment designers and in boutiques.
- The Degree course makes them eligible to take up the job of a teacher in institutes that impart training courses in Textile Designing.
- The course also makes one eligible for a career with the star employers and leading garment designers and apparel manufacturers such as Reliance Industries, Arvind Mills, Grasim Industries Ltd., Mafatlal Industries Ltd.
- They also have good job opportunities with government-sponsored and private silk, handloom, khadi, jute and craft development organizations.
- B.Des. (Textile Design) degree holders are always in huge demand in developed countries like USA, UK and Australia, which are some of the largest recruiters of textile design professionals.
The basic eligibility criterion for pursuing B.Des. (Textile Design) the degree is qualifying 10+2 or equivalent examination in any stream from a recognized board of the country.
- Candidate should have the ability to study independently, set goals, manage your own workload and meet deadlines and project management.
- They should also have a creative ability; technical skills including computer-aided design (CAD); the ability to solve problems and work within a team.
- Applicants should also possess skills like critical evaluation and interpretation of materials; written and oral communication skills.
- They should also have decision-making skills, commercial awareness and up to date with the changing trends.
TEXTILE DESIGN EMPLOYMENT AREAS
- Apparel Manufacturer
- Buying Agency
- Corporate House
- Dyeing & Printing Factories
- Fabric Export Houses
- Export Houses
- Fashion Houses
- Jewellery Houses
- Maintenance & Cleaning Companies
- Handloom Co-operatives
- Textile Design Educational Institutes
- Merchandising Firms
- Research and Development Firms
- Textile Laboratories
- Textile Mills
TEXTILE DESIGN JOB TYPES
- Textile Design Assistant
- Design Consultant
- Junior Textile Designer
- Textile Designer
- Dyeing & Printing Consultant
- Textile Design Entrepreneur
- Embroidery Designer
- Textile Design Media Specialist
- Designer cum Manager
- Textile Lab Manager
- Fabric Analyzer
- Senior Fashion Merchandiser
- Textile Design Publicist
- Exhibition Designer
- Textile Design Specialist
- Merchandising Assistant
- Theatre Designer
- Independent Textile Designer
- Fabric Resource Manager